Many Waverley Park Physiotherapy Centre clients (and some of our staff) are excitedly heading into the spring Fun Run season.
Across Melbourne and Victoria a vast array of events covering different distances, terrains and even obstacles are being held from mid-September until the end of summer.
Whether you’re a veteran or a first-time competitor, a walker or runner, it is vital to prepare properly and ensure you’re heading for the finish line rather than for injury.
Running, or even walking, can take a toll on the body. Repeat forces travel through the feet, up through the leg, into the hip and up into your back. If you don’t have the adequate muscle length, strength, joint range of movement and/or trunk control, you will expose yourself to injury at any of these body parts.
Common areas of injury include the feet, achilles, shins, front of the knee, hip, groin and lower back. You can also be pre-disposed to muscles strains in the calf and hamstring regions.
Our health care team at Waverley Park Physiotherapy Centre have extensive experience in assessing and managing these types of athlete injuries but, more importantly, detecting problem areas before they develop. We can help you succeed in achieving your event goals by reducing any pain you may be experiencing, loosening stiff joints or tight muscles, prescribe specific exercises to strengthen and improve control in and around your problem areas.
In addition to injury assessment and management, all physiotherapists at WPPC can:
- Structure training programs specific for you and your event;
- Give you advice on hydration pre and post-event;
- Give you advice on the types of foods you should consider to fuel your body for your training and your event.
Upcoming 2015 Events for runners, walkers and obstacle conquerors include:
- Spartan Race (Lake Dewar, 12th September)
- Run for the Hills (Belgrave South, 20th September)
- Spring in to Shape Race 1 (Melbourne, 27th September)
- Melbourne Kokoda Challenge (Dandenong Ranges, 11th October)
- Tough Mudder (Broadford, 17-18th October)
- Melbourne Marathon (Melbourne, 18th October)
- Spring in to Shape Race 2 (Melbourne, 25th October)
- Peninsula Obstacle Racing Course (Moorooduc, 31st October)
- Mudderella (Myrniong, 7th November)
- Great Strides Melbourne (The Tan, 8th November)
- Upstream Challenge (Melbourne, 14th November)
- City2Sea Melbourne (Arts Centre, Melbourne, 15th November)
- Jells Park Fun Run (Wheelers Hill, 15th November)
- Seaford Wetlands Fun Run (Seaford, 22nd November)
- Spring in to Shape Race 3 (Melbourne, 22nd November)
- The Stampede (Wandin North, 28th November)
- Spartan Race (Geelong, 5th December)
- Sussan Women’s Fun Run (St. Kilda, 6th December)
- Warrior Challenge (Marysville, 12th December)
Summer 2016 events include:
- Fun Run Pink Melbourne (Albert Park Lake, 17th January)
- Mudd Hell (Moorooduc, 23rd January)
- Mad Cow Mud Run (Shepparton, 12-13th March)
- The Summit Survivor (Trafalgar East, 19-20th March)
- Run for the Kids (Melbourne, 20th March)
- Oxfam Trailwalker Melbourne (Wheelers Hill, 8th April)
At WPPC we believe that “Everyone is an athlete… we just have different events” Are you challenging yourself to improve your health and fitness this spring? What is your event and your event goal?
For a consultation prior to or post your event with Physiotherapist James Serong, or any of the WPPC team, please call reception on 9795 0668.